We are currently seeking two Parent Mentors to join the Client Services Team at Harbor Regional Center. We are requiring that they be bilingual, proficient in English and Spanish. As support staff, the Parent Mentor will increase the access and utilization of social, health and specialized Regional Center services to underserved groups and communities.
It is required that this candidate must be an HRC parent of a school aged child ages 3-22 with a developmental disability. They must also have lived experiences of the Hispanic or African American cultural traditions and have successfully navigated the developmental services system. They will need to demonstrate the skills to mentor, coach, and support other parents. The Parent Mentor works with families to foster parent-professional relationships based on mutual trust, understanding and respect.
Ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics and skills:
- Engage and Mentor HRC Parents: The Parent Mentor will work with the service coordination team in reaching parents, conducting Family Assessments to identify barriers to accessing services. The Parent Mentor will provide individualized coaching to parents identified by HRC who have not fully utilized regional center services in the past or who have had difficulties in accessing services that were identified in their family members’ Individual Person-Centered Plan (IPP).
- Promote Parent-Professional Partnerships: The Parent Mentor will foster positive consistent communication and a strong working relationship with the family’s assigned HRC Service Coordinator.
- Conduct Face-to-Face Follow-up Meetings: The Parent Mentor will meet with parents as needed at identified community-based sites within the families’ local community and carry out activities for family support, service access and education.
- Work as an Integral Team Member of HRC: The Parent Mentor will work with HRC to reduce barriers to the access/utilization of services and track program outcomes. The Parent Mentor will encourage and facilitate families’ participation in the on-going trainings and family support activities offered by HRC.
- HRC Parent: These are bilingual English/Spanish positions so parent must be proficient in speaking both English and Spanish
- Work Experience: 3+ years of providing project administration assistant work, parent engagement or family support preferred
- Education: A degree in the human services field from accredited college or university preferred; equivalent experience accepted
- Communication Skills: Excellent oral and written communication, manage communications positively; build strong relationships; maintain confidentiality
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Work well with diverse ages, backgrounds, cultures, personalities; work evenings/weekends and adjust quickly to meet changing needs
This a full time salaried position with benefits that include medical, dental, vision and 401(K) retirement. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Parent Mentor”