DDS Rate Survey for Providers
Please participate in this important study!
In response to feedback from service providers, the due date to submit the rate study provider survey has been extended to August 3, 2018.Completed surveys should be submitted to: DDSProviderSurvey@burnshealthpolicy.com.
Click here to see a slide show with narration on the rate study that explains its objectives and how to go about completing it. This presentation was developed by Will Sanford and Futures Explored. The presentation is a 16-minute YouTube video that succinctly covers what service providers need to know. We want all providers to complete the survey so Burns & Associates has the best data possible. Remember, the survey is due by August 3.
Developmental services advocates have been fighting for years to obtain rate relief for developmental service providers in California. Advocates also continue to express alarm regarding program closures and waiting lists, due to increasing costs and inadequate rates.
In 2016, the legislature provided some funding to provide wage and benefit increases for direct care staff, in an effort to alleviate staff turnover. They also provided funding to develop and implement a rate study, as the first step in long awaited rate reform.
The Department of Developmental Services contracted with the organization Burns and Associates, who have prepared the rate survey that was distributed to service providers via email on May 25th.
" Data collected through the survey will be a key consideration as DDS assesses the adequacy of current payment rates and studies possible changes to the rates. Thus, although the survey is voluntary, all vendors are encouraged to participate."
"Data collected through this survey will be used solely for the purpose of evaluating reimbursement rates. Only aggregated data will be reported; no vendor-specific information will be published."
All providers with rates set through negotiation with the regional center, or with rates set by the Department of Developmental Services, are encouraged to complete the survey, even if you did not receive an email from Burns and Associates.
At this moment, this survey is the best hope we have to provide documentation to legislature of the crisis in service provider rates, and to see relief from the longstanding freeze. Completed surveys are due by Friday, July 6 and should be submitted to DDSProviderSurvey@burnshealthpolicy.com.
Burns & Associates has recorded a series of webinars to explain the rate-setting effort and to walk through the survey page-by-page.
When you click on (a webinar for the first time, you may need to follow prompts to install WebEx. It is safe to do so.) The webinars and more information are available on the Burns and Associates website at http://www.burnshealthpolicy.com/DDSVendorRates/
Below is the email sent by Burns and Associates on May 25, 2018
As required by Welfare and Institutions Code § 4519.8 the California Department Developmental Services (DDS) is in the process of studying the reimbursement rates paid for community-based services for individuals with developmental disabilities.
Our organization, Burns & Associates, Inc. (B&A), is assisting DDS with this study. This assistance includes the administration of a vendor survey to collect data regarding providers’ service delivery designs and costs. B&A consulted with DDS and the Developmental Services Task Force’s Rates Workgroup to develop the Excel-based survey and accompanying instructions, which are attached.
Please note the following:
· Data collected through the survey will be a key consideration as DDS assesses the adequacy of current payment rates and studies possible changes to the rates. Thus, although the survey is voluntary, all vendors are encouraged to participate.
· The survey includes worksheets (‘tabs’) for every service code included within the survey. You should only complete forms for the services that your organization provides. The table of contents (‘TOC’) worksheet in the survey file lists the specific forms to complete for each service code. Similarly, the Service Listing page beginning on page 3 of the instructions directs you to the appropriate pages for directions for each survey worksheet.
· Information collected through the survey will be utilized only for the purpose of this rate study and vendors’ individual responses will not be released to DDS.
· Partially completed surveys will be accepted. You may skip any questions that request information that your agency cannot provide, and those portions of the survey that are completed will still be part of the survey analysis.
· If there are any factors that you believe should be considered but were not included in the survey, note those issues (and any other comments) in the transmittal email when submitting the survey. You may also submit any other documentation that you would like considered as part of this study.
We recognize that the survey is lengthy and detailed. In addition to the recorded webinars noted above, you are encouraged to contact us with any questions atDDSProviderSurvey@burnshealthpolicy.com or (602) 241-8515.
Completed surveys are due by Friday, August 3rd (DUE DATE EXTENDED) and should be submitted to DDSProviderSurvey@burnshealthpolicy.com .
If you have any questions regarding the rate study, you may contact your local Regional Center or DDS at email@example.com or (916) 654-2300.