Training & Information
Direct Support Profesional Training Program (DSPT)- Department of Developmental Services
Effective January 1, 1999, the Department of Developmental Services implemented mandated statewide competency-based training for direct support professionals employed in regional center vendored community care facilities:
to provide the highest standard of service for individuals living in these homes, and
to recognize that direct support professionals deserve training and recognition as professionals.
Effective in 2015, there will be some changes to the DSPT: Due to the discontinuation of educational funding earmarked for Regional Occupational Center/Programs (ROCPs), the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) and the California Department of Education (CDE) are making key changes to the DSPT project. These changes will streamline the registration and certification process, and assure training continues to be provided at the same level of quality and convenience throughout the state.
Beginning September 1, 2015,
- Student registration will be provided through a new statewide online registration and certification system (eDSPT). Service providers, their staff, and regional centers can use the system to verify DSPT certification and print DSPT Certificates.
- The coordination of DSPT will be consolidated into 4 Service Hubs run by County Offices of Education.
- DSPT will still be held at convenient locations throughout the state.
- Webinars will be offered to regional center staff and service providers regading the changes to the program and use of the online registration and certification system. To register for one of the DSPT webinars on Tuesday Sept 22 OR Wednesday Sept 23, 10:30-12 or 1:30-3, go to http://www.dds.ca.gov/DSPT/Home.cfm
- DSPT Result Notifications will be emailed to direct support staff and administrators. Certification notices can be printed from the eDSPT.
- For ongoing information and updates, check the DDS website at http://www.dds.ca.gov/DSPT/Home.cfm
Service Provider Resource Tool Kit
The HRC Resource and Assistive Technology Center officers a comprehensive array of materials for service provider information and training.
- Recommended Materials for Staff Training
- Recommended Materials for Client Participation
- Online Catalog Guide
- Booklets Online
- Resource Center Materials Loan Agreement
HRC Service Provider Enrichment Training
Harbor Regional Center provides periodic training seminars and workshops for our current service providers to enhance your knowledge. For example a recent course covered changes in Medi-Cal Connect. At times these workshops can be used to obtain continuing education units for those individuals who need them to satisfy Title 17 requirements. Your Service Provider Relations Specialist can let you know when trainings are offered thay may meet your needs. If you are not sure who is your Service Provider Relations Specialist, you may email Maria Carmen Garibay for information.
Service Providers or Administrators may also be contacted directly to be invited to specialized training topics.
DDS Safety Net - Helping Californians with Developmental Disabilities to be safe and healthy. Includes information and videos for direct support professionals and for people with developmental disabilities.
DSPT Videos are available on the DDS YouTube Channel
- Making My Own Choices
- Handwashing & Gloving Video
- Assisting with the Self-Administration of Medication Video
- Psychotropic Medication Management (PMM)
- Feeling Safe Being Safe
- Dental Care
- and more