The primary responsibility of the Assistive Technology Specialist is to conduct evaluations to determine the equipment needs and accommodations for Harbor Regional Center clients. The secondary responsibility is to develop, organize and instruct the classes offered in the computer lab.
• Conduct evaluations to determine the need for assistive
technology for computer access
• Write reports of evaluation outcomes including recommendations for hardware, software, access and accommodations
• Maintain current knowledge on available commercial products.
• Perform system set-up/integration into environment for clients in their homes, as appropriate.
• Provide on-going consultation to clients, including home and site visits.
• Provide training for clients and caregivers on use and care of recommended equipment.
• Provide information and training to HRC staff regarding Assistive Technology
• Preview and recommend software programs appropriate for clients
• Visit HRC service provider sites to provide consultation regarding hardware and software
• Conduct assistive technology screening of HRC clients at service provider sites
• Provide leadership in coordinating course offerings and class schedules in the Computer Lab, as requested.
• Work cooperatively with the Speech Pathologist in determining augmentative communication needs for referred clients.
• Work cooperatively with the Occupational Therapist in determining seating and positioning needs for referred clients.
• Be responsible for scheduling appointments and follow-up consultation.
• Undergraduate degree with Assistive Technology Applications
• Experience in a teaching environment, preferred.
• Associate degree with experience in the field of Assistive Technology will be considered.
• 100 hours of formal training or continuing education in Assistive Technology will be considered.
• Directly supervised practice will be considered.
• Familiarity with computer functions, basic computer software programs and adaptive assistive technology.
• Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Excellent self-motivation to develop and create new projects
• Ability to teach groups of adults and children with developmental disabilities.
Please submit your resume to: