The Community Outreach Specialist, under direction of the Director of Children’s Services, shall coordinate the strategic and targeted outreach, engagement and support of HRC’s hispanic clients, families, local support groups and community organizations to help ensure that the delivery of services and supports are culturally inclusive and culturally informed for all clients with developmental disabilities and their families, pursuant to the provisions of the Lanterman Act as well as the policies established by the Harbor Regional Center Board of Trustees.
The Community Outreach Specialist will be responsible for expanding HRC’s engagement, communication, outreach, training and support of Hispanic families throughout the service area. This individual will assist service coordination and the Manager of Diversity and Inclusion in supporting all HRC POS disparity initiatives, including efforts to identify, engage and cultivate collaborative relationships with Hispanic parent groups and community-based organizations with the goal of directly and positively impacting POS utilization and HRC’s working relationship with the Hispanic community.
- Plan and coordinate community engagement activities designed to identify, educate and inform clients and their families about HRC’s supports and services.
- Work to identify, build and maintain strategic partnerships with local community agencies and various stakeholders to help promote HRC’s diversity and inclusion initiatives and meet organizational goals.
- Support the planning, development and implementation of training for clients and families, including identifying needs and coordinating with other HRC departments to develop and implement training.
- In collaboration with staff from client and community services, facilitate engagement and support of HRC’s Spanish speaking parent support groups through attendance and participation in essential/key meetings, coordination of guest speakers and trainings, and provision of information on HRC initatives.
- Support HRC’s public relations activities, including communication with community groups, representatives of the media and the general public to promote and educate stakeholders on Harbor Regional Center Diversity and Inclusion initiatives.
- Disseminate training information to staff, clients and families, including marketing of upcoming events through publications and social media.
- Support the planning, organization and implementation of special events, including recruitment and supervision of volunteers, and day-of-event management.Participate in professional development and training activities that will help Harbor Regional Center promote and advance their diversity and inclusion goals and objectives.
Essential Job Duties:
- Supports service coordination with establishing key partnership in the community that will increase overall community engagement with underserved populations.
- Designs and implements community engagement projects, especially for ethnic groups currently under-represented or under-served by the regional center
- Coordinates, enhances and participates in support groups to help families understand services provided by the regional center, generic services and other community agencies
- Supports the Director of Children’s Services and the Manager of Diversity and Inclusion in the collection, analysis and dissemination of demographic and expenditure POS Data
- Provides outreach and information to community groups regarding regional center supports and services, as requested
- Participates in interagency committees
- Coordinates training for clients, families and the community
- Ensures that service coordination is updated regularly regarding engagement projects, events, and areas of focus and related progress.
- Maintains agency social media accounts
- Other duties as assigned
- A master’s degree in human services, public relations, communications, or public administration (desired).
- At least three years of related experience is preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree and additional relevant experience is required.
- Bi-lingual in both English and Spanish is required.
- Experience working with community members from diverse cultural, linguistic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Understanding of community organization and development of community networks for achievement of desired outcomes.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and via electronic networks, including excellent creative writing skills, with individuals and groups from a variety of educational and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Working knowledge of developmental disabilities, family support systems, and community-based resources to address special needs of clients.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary team members, including individuals with developmental disabilities, family members, service providers, and staff.
- Current California driver’s license and State-required insurance required when using personal vehicle on Center business and a driving record acceptable to the organization and/or its insurance carrier.
- Capacity to be flexible and work in a changing environment.
- Computer skills sufficient to meet production demands of the job including Microsoft Office and software for public information and learning management.
- Availability/flexibility to work varied hours including occasional evenings, nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures of the Regional Center.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of individuals with developmental disabilities
- Knowledge of regional center programs
- Effective communication and counseling techniques
- Understanding of group process; multi-cultural issues in service provision
- Ability to plan and schedule own work
- Formulates and implements project goals and objectives
- Organizes meetings and events
- Effective oral presentation skills
- Effective writing skills in English and a language other than English (Spanish/Asian Languages)
- Interacts with others from a wide variety of cultural and social backgrounds
- Knowledge of word processing software (Microsoft Word) is required
- Working knowledge of Excel and Power Point Presentations
(This list is not all inclusive)
Upon job offer acceptance, candidates will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster if eligible. A reasonable accommodation may be requested for an exemption from the COVID-19 and booster vaccination requirement.
Please submit your resume to HR@harborrc.org.