The Receptionist is responsible for:
- Providing a high level of customer service to visitors, clients, service providers, Harbor Regional Center (HRC) staff, and the general public.
- Greeting and directing visitors at the front desk at the Torrance Main Office or Long Beach Site Office.
- Answering and routing incoming telephone calls and providing general information.
- Performing a wide variety of clerical duties in support of the Facilities Administration Supervisor and other Regional Center staff.
Incumbent may perform any or all of the following, depending on specific department or assignment:
- Greets and directs visitors; provides general information, as well as information regarding meetings and trainings taking place at the Regional Center; notifies staff of appointment arrivals.
- Answers incoming telephone calls to HRC’s main number; responds to general questions, concerns or complaints; transfers calls to appropriate internal resources; assesses for urgent matters and refers calls to the appropriate staff (manager, Team Assistant, or Officer of the Day); checks and routes messages left during non-business hours.
- Maintains the staff phone roster; updates and distributes monthly.
- Assists daily with opening the facility for staff and the public; monitors daily schedule of meetings and appointments in conference rooms; assists staff with reserving conference rooms.
- Checks that furniture, equipment, and services in public areas are in good working order; makes sure that various toys and materials used by staff and families are organized and clean; receives notice from staff of building issues and informs the Facilities Manager and/or building or property management staff; assists staff with setting up audio-visual equipment.
- Maintains building security logs and assigns visitor keycards as necessary; periodically checks security camera and access system; acts as Floor Warden for lobby, conference rooms, and public area, by informing and directing visitors and staff in an emergency.
- Identifies assigned teams and/or service coordinators for inquiries regarding clients utilizing Virtual Chart; receives documents from visitors for HRC staff and will scan and email as appropriate.
- May assist in the Resource Center, by assisting visitors with checking out and returning materials and by ensuring that HRC pamphlets and publications are stocked.
- Performs a wide variety of general clerical and administrative duties including: ordering/receiving and distributing supplies; copying; responding to emails; filing documents; gathering data and preparing routine/special reports.
- Participates in team spirit activities including arranging activities and events, planning and participating in team retreats and Agency-wide events and coordinating celebrations and other occasions.
- Maintains absolute confidentiality regarding clients and families in compliance with HIPAA regulations and Regional Center policies.
- Assumes responsibility for projects as assigned.
- May perform any or all of the duties of a Team Assistant.
- Performs related duties as required.
The incumbent is in a non-confined office-type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will. The environment for this position is mostly clean and comfortable but may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. In the course of performing this work, the incumbent:
- Will spend time sitting, utilizing the computer.
- Will spend time standing/walking throughout the facilities.
- May lift up to 15 lbs. periodically. If more, the incumbent must request assistance.
- May stoop or stretch to access file cabinets, shelves.
The individual in this position may operate any standard office equipment including telephones, copy machines, scanning equipment, postage meter, computer peripheral equipment, etc.
Computer software may include any or all of the following:
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Virtual Chart
- Scheduling Software
- Other (please add)
The incumbent must be able to perform this job safely, without endangering the health or safety of him/herself or others. Individuals with disabilities that may impact their ability to perform these duties are encouraged to meet with Human Resources to discuss options for accommodation.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this job. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent must have:
- Basic knowledge of client documentation methods and practices, typically the result of one or more years of experience in similar positions. Or, demonstrated proficiency in utilizing computer software to maintain large databases
- Accurate skills in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Working knowledge of contemporary office methods.
- Math skills sufficient to calculate/balance routine numerical data
- Strong work organization skills to meet deadlines
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills including ability to research and resolve procedural problems
- Numerical and alphabetical filing procedures
- Ability to work well under pressure with competing priorities.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages and backgrounds.
- Effective oral and written communications skills sufficient to draft routine correspondence and emails
- Bilingual Spanish required
- Valid California driver’s license, state required insurance, and a driving record acceptable to the agency’s insurance carrier, when using personal vehicle on center business.
- Typically, these skills and experience result from completion of high school and one or more years experience in similar positions.
- High school diploma.
Upon job offer acceptance, candidates will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster, if eligible. A reasonable accommodation may be requested for an exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement.
Please submit your resume to: HR@harborrc.org
Equal Opportunity Employer